… when it comes to the english language…
because, well… I’m german.
No, I’m not talking about my grammar – though that a real catastrophe as well – I’m actually talking about phrases and words.
Let me give you a few examples.
(1) “Become” & “Get”: In the english language you use “get” when you receive something. In german we use “bekommen” and a lot of germans – including myself sometimes – mix up “bekommen” with “become”, even though it means something entirely different.
(2) “Budgie” & “Veggie”: Somewhere along the years of school my brain decided it would be funny to mix up “veggie” with the word “budgie”. I know it’s totally wrong, but my brain hates me! And I always need to remind me that my budgies aren’t food.
(3)”Please” & “You’re welcome”: In german we only have one word that you use for both of those and that’s “bitte”. I personally don’t mix this one up, but a lot of my friends have problems with figuring out, when they are supposed to use “please” and when “you’re welcome”.
(4) “probably”: I don’t know what it is about this word, but I always need too many attempts to write it correctly. Just ask my pen pal Jamie. She knows what I’m talking about. LOL.
(5) “smooth”: I’m unable to say that word out loud. I know how it should sound, but I can’t get my mouth and tongue to move the right way and I envy everyone that can say it.
(6) “at”, “on” & “in”: Those words are the devil. Because I never know if I’m using them correctly. Is it “at someones website” or “on someones website”? Is it “I left my phone at xy’s place” or
“I left my phone in xy’s place” (<- probably not the best example) Ok, that I know myself. It sounds weird, but you get what I mean, right?
I could go on like that for ages, but I just wanted to show you some of my struggles and wanted to tell you:
If you want to blog in a language that isn’t your first language, do it! No ones perfect and no one expects you to be! Go for it. Do your best and mess the shit out of your second language! 😀 All that matters is that you enjoy it.
Now tell me, what words and phrases do you mess up, because well… I don’t judge and genuinely interested in it. Let me know in the comment section below. 🙂