1. Tell us something about your latest book. Is it your debut? What genre does it belong to?
Mind of the Phoenix is my debut novel and is a dark historical fantasy thriller. My main character, Moira, has been imprisoned for murdering her master. In exchange for her freedom, she must use her powers as an empath and work alongside Detective Keenan Edwards to solve a series of mysterious murders. The serial killer, known as the Phoenix, has been planting suggestions in his victims’ minds, forcing them to commit murder and suicide.
2. Is your book part of a series or can it be read as a stand-alone?
It could be read as a stand-alone, but Mind of the Phoenix is only the first installment in a trilogy.
3. When does your book release?
It was released September 28.
4. If you’re not writing, what do you love to do?
When I’m not writing, I love to read and work on my various other crafts. I pretty much dabble in anything that is artsy.
5. Did anyone inspire you to start writing or did you always knew you just had to write?
When I was younger, I would write songs and poems. But it wasn’t until I finished high school that I became interested in writing novels.
6. Any advice/tips for newbies?
Keep writing and reading. Make an effort to acknowledge criticism, but also know when to keep true to your story. And write what you’re passionate about.
7. Are you already writing a new book? Can you tell us a little bit about it?
The second book, Pawn of the Phoenix, is already making its way to publication, so I’m currently writing the third novel in the series. I also have a few other novel ideas circulating in my mind.
8. A word that you use way too often? (Mine are “quite” and “probably”)
9. Last but not least: What’s your favourite type of candy, if you don’t mind me asking?
Jamie McLachlan is a graduate from Grant MacEwan University with a major in English and a minor in Philosophy. She decided to put her day dreaming to good use by weaving tales of speculative fiction. Avid reader and lover of all things creative, she lives in Canada with her family.